(LONDON) por Paula Tooths
As promised and here I am to share my recipes once again. I learnt this recipe with my grandma about 30 years ago. To the ones who have tried a layer from my cakes, often say it’s my specialty.
This particular carrot cake is very different from the traditional American or British. It’s vegetarian friendly and it is delicious and very easy & simple to make.
The combination of flavours and colours from the dark chocolate and the subtle sweetness of the carrots are truly delightful.
It can be an ‘everyday’ cake and often surprises people!
Let’s bake, shall we?
- 3 medium-large sized carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 whole eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil (I like sunflower)
- 2 cups flour
- 1,5 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
(1) Add the carrots, the eggs and the oil in a blender and blend it for at least 5 minutes till you get a smooth consistency.
(2) In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients; flour, sugar and baking powder.
(3) Pour the blended puree in to the dry ingredients mixture.
(4) Place the cake mix into a baking pan (I use round baking molds 25-30cm and 3-4cm high) and bake for 40-45min at 180oC.
- 1 cup sugar
- 100g dark chocolate diced (or ¾ cup cocoa powder)
- ¼ cup milk
- 50g butter
(1) Combine all the ingredients into a saucepan and mix it well.
(2) Leave on a low-medium gas.
(3) When it comes to a boil, wait 1 minute and turn off the heat.
(4) Pour over the ready cake and serve.
Sometimes, I change a little the icing or cover the cake with my homemade dark chocolate ganash, which gives a nice touch to the cake.